About the M79 Grenade Launcher
The M79 is a shoulder-fired, single-shot grenade launcher. It uses what the US army calls the “High-Low Propulsion System”, firing 40x46mm grenades. It makes a very distinctive sound which has resulted in numerous nicknames for it including “Thumper”, “Blooper” and, among the Australians, “Wombat Gun”.
It can fire a variety of different 40mm rounds including explosive, anti-personnel, buckshot, smoke, and flechette.
Specifications Of The M79
- Weight: 2.93 kg (6.45 lb) loaded
- 2.7 kg (5.95 lb) empty
- Length: 73.1 cm (28.78 in)
- Barrel length 35.7 cm (14 in)
- Cartridge: 40×46mm grenade
- Action: Break-action
- Rate of fire: 6 rounds/min
- Muzzle velocity: 76 m/s (247 ft/s)
- Effective firing range: 350 m (383 yd)
- Maximum firing range: 400 m (437 yd)
- Feed system: Breech-loaded
- Sights: Blade and leaf type